Wednesday, June 3, 2009

GRUB on MBR

Hi All,

Though I never want to do this any time now, but I remember that I used to do it in my college days.

Removing GRUB from the MBR.

Though many of us tweak around with Linux OSS, we may one day need to know how to remove the GRUB too.

Ok here by GRUB - I mean the Grand Unified Boot Record - which is a multiboot boot loader and MBR is Master Boot Record - the first LBA partitioned sector of a harddisk - where most people install their GRUBs to.

Removing your GRUB from your MBR is as simple as running the below command from your Windows Machine -

Go to command prompt or Win + run -- type cmd and then type - fdisk / mbr.

Thats it. You are done.

But always note, by giving the above command - only your GRUB is removed and not your Linux partition. You always need to manually delete that partition and reuse it to your Windows Machine according to your file system of C Drive.

Thanks,
Ananth Gouri

No comments:

Post a Comment