Friday, December 14, 2012

Start-up sound of Nimblex on Debian 5 using Sun Virtualbox

Hi All,

Was playing around my Lenny trying to tweak some of the things that I used to do in the past.....

I installed Nimblex on my old laptop which was on Debian 5. Of course I did not want to touch the god (Debian) - so only used Virtualbox (older version and not the new one from Oracle)

I fell in love with the start up sound of Nimblex. So I wanted to get the same sound to my Debian 6 on my other laptop.

So heres what I did....

1. First enable sound (Direct OSS or Direct ALSA) on Virtualbox
2. i.e take sound from host OS.
3. Open the terminal and run the command to copy the sound startup file.

Alt F2 (Run prompt)

Type gnome-terminal

Then as su-

cp /usr/share/sounds/startup/startup.ogg . 

I copied the startup file to the current directory (~ of Debian 5)

Then

cp startup.ogg /share/ (I had shared a folder in Virtualbox)

Press Left Control key to go back to the host OS (Debian 5 from Nimblex)

cp /share/startup.ogg/ /media/sdb1/ (Copy the shared file to my pen drive)

Now finally on my other laptop (running Debian 6)

Issue the command -

cp /media/sdb1/startup.ogg /usr/share/sounds/

Last enable login sounds in Debian 6.

Hope you too can manipulate your startup-sound files in your distros from these simple commands...

Tc ,
Ananth S Gouri






No comments:

Post a Comment