Monday, October 11, 2010

Lenny on Lenovo

Hi All,

After nearly one month on Ubuntu and its derivatives, I could install Debian Lenny on my new laptop Lenovo z460.

Problem:

My SATA CD ROM / DVD ROM was not detected and I used to get the error : No common CD ROM drives available.

This was like a huge problem and I could not install Debian through any of these CD/DVD sources.

Finally after googling for about 3 to 4 hours - I could figure out and get out of the problem.

Solution:

In the bios settings for SATA - my computer assembler had set the settings to "compatible".

I just changed this from compatible to AHCI. Thats it.

But now the new thing is,  I cant boot Windows 7  or XP. But for me getting Lenny working was a bigger priority and I would not bother much for my Gates breakage.

Thanks & Take care,
Ananth S Gouri

No comments:

Post a Comment